The Birth of Samuel Part 3 – The Handprint of God

on

This is the story of the birth of our second baby – Samuel Timothy – and how all things really work together for good to those who love God (Romans 8:28). I went into great detail because I like to reminisce, and this is my way of reminding myself how things went down. You can read about the rest here:

The Birth of Samuel Part 1 – The Decision

The Birth of Samuel Part 2 – The Miracle of Birth


The Handprint of God

There were two specific instances that I really saw the handprint of God when He guided us to make the right decision.

1. Switching to a gynaecologist at a public hospital (KK) instead of a private hospital – just two days before I had our baby.  

As I shared in Part 1, we switched to KK because we got worried about our finances. We set aside SGD10k for the delivery, and found out too late that staying with our private gynaecologist and delivering at a private hospital (even the cheapest option) could set us back by SGD10-12k.

We made the switch to KK just in time. I had my first check up at KK on 7 June, and delivered on 9 June – 20 days before my expected due date.

At first, since KK is a lot cheaper, we thought we would have about SGD3-4k left over from our SGD10k delivery budget. We did not anticipate the expenses over the next few days due to baby Samuel’s jaundice, which set us back about SGD3k. If we didn’t move to KK for the delivery, we’d have to use our emergency savings for Samuel’s medical bills, since we’ve already busted our delivery budget.

2. Getting admitted to KK Hospital one day early. 

On the morning of June 7, I was already 1 cm dilated during my check up. On the evening of June 8, I was having contractions every 15 minutes. So we went to KK (as instructed), thinking that I would have the baby soon. When they advised us to either stay and walk around, or go home and come back when I was having contractions every 5 minutes, we decided to stay. We thought that meant we could just hang around and walk within the vicinity until the contractions became more frequent, but it actually meant getting admitted. When I realized this, I wanted the baby out that night to avoid having to pay for one extra night at the hospital. So I started jogging around, doing squats and so on. It didn’t work, and I couldn’t help but wonder if we made the wrong decision. Perhaps we should have gone home instead to save on the cost of the additional day at the hospital.

But in hindsight, if we went home and came back to the hospital only when the baby was about to pop out, who knows what might have happened with his umbilical cord wrapped around his neck? For such things, it’s always better to be safe than sorry, so I’m glad I was in the hospital throughout the whole labor process so that there was always someone monitoring baby Samuel the whole time.

Thank You Lord!

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *