The Very Few Tender Moments Between Katniss and Peeta in Mockingjay

Initially I was worried that Mockingjay would cater too much to the fans of the love angle between Katniss and Peeta by having too many tender moments between the two. After all, there were parts in The Hunger Games and Catching Fire where I cringed a bit, because I thought Suzanne Collins was taking things too far. But the opposite thing actually happened – there were too few. Blame it on the Capitol.

Here are the very few tender moments between the two tributes from District 12, the victors of the 74th Hunger Games. You can also check out my favorite Peeta quotes from The Hunger Games here and from Catching Fire here.

He DID Love Her A Lot

I’ve just reached the door when his voice stops me. “Katniss. I remember about the bread.”

The bread. Our one moment of real connection before the Hunger Games.

“They showed you the tape of me talking about it,” I say.

“No. Is there a tape of you talking about it? Why didn’t the Capitol use it against me?” he asks.

“I made it the day you were rescued,” I answer. The pain in my chest wraps around my ribs like a vise. The dancing was a mistake. “So what do you remember?”

“You. In the rain,” he says softly. “Digging in our rubbish bins. Burning the bread. My mother hitting me. Taking the bread out for the pig but then giving it to you instead.”

‘That’s it. That’s what happened,” I say. “The next day, after school, I wanted to thank you. But I didn’t know how.”

“We were outside at the end of the day. I tried to catch your eye. You looked away. And then… for some reason, I think you picked a dandelion.” I nod. He does remember. I have never spoken about that moment aloud. “I must have loved you a lot.”

Like the Sunset

At a few minutes before four, Peeta turns to me again. “Your favourite colour… it’s green?”

“That’s right.” Then I think of something to add. “And yours is orange.”

“Orange?” He seems unconvinced.

“Not bright orange. But soft. Like the sunset,” I say. “At least, that’s what you told me once.”

“Oh.” He closes his eyes briefly, maybe trying to conjure up that sunset, then nods his head. “Thank you.”

But more words tumble out. “You’re a painter. You’re a baker. You like to sleep with the windows open. You never take sugar in your tea. And you always double-knot your shoelaces.”

Then I dive into my tent before I do something stupid like cry.

Lamb Stew

I poke around in the pile, about to settle on some cod chowder, when Peeta holds out a can to me. “Here.”

I take it, not knowing what to expect. The label reads LAMB STEW.

I press my lips together at the memories of rain dripping through stones, my inept attempts at flirting, and the aroma of my favourite Capitol dish in the chilly air. So some part of it must still be in his head, too. How happy, how hungry, how close we were when that picnic basket arrived outside our cave.

That’s What They Do

In the fluorescent light, the circles under his eyes look like bruises. “There’s still time. You should sleep.” Unresisting, he lies back down, but just stares at the needle on one of the dials as it twitches from side to side. Slowly, as I would with a wounded animal, my hand stretches out and brushes a wave of hair from his forehead. He freezes at my touch, but doesn’t recoil. So I continue to gently smooth back his hair. It’s the first time I voluntarily touched him since the last arena.

“You’re still trying to protect me. Real or not real,” he whispers.

“Real,” I answer. It seems to require more explanation. “Because that’s what you and I do. Protect each other.”

Always

Only one figure stays huddled against the wall. “Peeta,” I say. There’s no response. Has he blacked out? I crouch in front of him, pulling his cuffed hands from his face. “Peeta?” His eyes are like black pools, the pupils dilated so that the blue irises have all but vanished. The muscles in his wrists are hard as metal.

“Leave me,” he whispers. “I can’t hang on.”

“Yes. You can!” I tell him.

Peeta shakes his head. “I’m losing it. I’ll go mad. Like them.”

Like the mutts. Like a rabid beast bent on ripping my throat out. And here, finally here in this place, in these circumstances, I will really have to kill him. And Snow will win. Hot, bitter hatred courses through me. Snow has won too much already today.

It’s a long shot, it’s suicide maybe, but I do the only thing I can think of. I lean in and kiss Peeta full on the mouth. His whole body starts shuddering, but I keep my lips pressed to his until I have to come up for air. My hands slide up his wrists to clasp his. “Don’t let him take you from me.”

Peeta’s panting hard as he fights the nightmares raging in his head. “No. I don’t want to…”

I clench his hands to the point of ain. “Stay with me.”

His pupils contract to pinpoints, dilate again rapidly, and then return to something resembling normality. “Always,” he murmurs.

So Tired

While Cressida and Pollux make fur nests for each of us, I attend to Peeta’s wrists. Gently rinsing away the blood, putting on an antiseptic, and bandaging them beneath the cuffs. “You’ve got to keep them clean, otherwise the infection could spread, and –“

“I know what blood poisoning is, Katniss,” says Peeta. “Even if my mother isn’t a healer.”

I’m jolted back in time, to another wound, another set of bandages. “You said the same thing to me in the first Hunger Games. Real or not real?”

“Real,” he says. “And you risked your life getting the medicine that saved me?”

“Real.” I shrug. “You were the reason I was alive to do it.”

“Was I?” The comment throws him into confusion. Some shiny memory must be fighting for his attention because his body tenses and his newly bandaged wrists strain against the metal cuffs. Then all the energy saps from his body. “I’m so tired, Katniss.”

Nothing Foolish

I get out the key, unlock Peeta’s cuffs and stuff them in my pocket. He rubs his wrists. Flexes them. I feel a kind of desperation rising up in me. It’s like I’m back in the Quarter Quell, with Beetee giving Johanna and me that coil of wire.

“Listen,” I say. “Don’t do anything foolish.”

“No. It’s last-resort stuff. Completely,” he says.

I wrap my arms around his neck, feel his arms hesitate before they embrace me. Not as steady as they once were, but still warm and strong. A thousand moments surge through me. All the times these arms were my only refuge from the world. Perhaps not fully appreciated then, but so sweet in my memory, and now gone for ever.

Can’t Let Go

I raise my left arm and twist my neck down to rip off the pill on my sleeve. Instead my teeth sink into flesh. I yank my head back in confusion to find myself looking into Peeta’s eyes, only now they hold my gaze. Blood runs from the teeth marks on the hand he clamped over my nightlock. “Let me go!” I snarl at him, trying to wrest my arm from his grasp.

“I can’t,” he says.

The Dandelion in the Spring

Peeta and I grow back together again. There are still moments when he clutches the back of a chair and hangs on until the flashbacks are over. I wake screaming from nightmares of mutts and lost children. But his arms are there to comfort me. And eventually his lips. On the night I feel that thing again, the hunger that overtook me on the beach, I know this would have happened anyway. That what I need to survive is not Gale’s fire, kindled with rage and hatred. I have plenty of fire myself. What I need is the dandelion in the spring. The bright yellow that means rebirth instead of destruction. The promise that life can go on, no matter how bad our losses. That it can be good again. And only Peeta can give me that.

So after, when he whispers, “You love me. Real or not real?”

I tell him, “Real.”

Dandelion

49 Comments Add yours

1. Here come the tears! ;-;

2. Fariha says:

Peeta’s love for katniss wants me to fall In love…

3. paola says:

yes yes yes! She always loved Peeta and i love him too.

4. Michelle says:

I cried

5. arystar says:

When katniss follows Gale, bad things always happen. She choose Gale after the 74th Hunger Game rather than run away. She choose to run away from(she was in love with Peeta anyone who says otherwise is blind)Peeta after he comes back broken, and end up going to the capitol, where she wasn’t needed, away from her sister, who she was supposed to get back to. Gale was no good. He made her loose sight of what was truly important to her. I feel like she chased after her father in Gale. Peeta was always aware of the larger picture, people underestimated him, but without him there is no mockingjay(his words and her actions are the spark). His flaw is that he could take up that banner, he’s selfless and cares for others. Not because he has a chip on his shoulder, he never lacked bread, but because it’s right. Yet he places katniss above the all else. He finally sees her for what she is in the third book and it takes time for him to forgive her for abandoning him. In the end Peeta lacked love, which katniss was frist unwilling to give, then unsure because that’s what the capitol wanted, and then scared because peeta rejected her when he came back. But as star cross lovers they’ll keep finding each other, no matter how impossible.

1. Luna the Nargle says:

That is just truly lovely!

6. charlie says:

I think I might cry. So beautiful!

7. claireeverdeen says:

I cried when I read Mockingjay. Then when I realised I’ve finished the whole trilogy, I cried some more. Peeta is such a beautiful character. It’s amazing how much he loved Katniss and would do anything for her.

1. sabby says:

same goes to mee, Suzanne Collins we need more HG!!!

8. DianaMellark4evs says:

I LOVE PEETA. I also love josh. But josh is PEETA so u can never go wrong with either of them. I want Peeta’s cakes. Peeta’s a Sexy Sensative Sexy UNSelfish Sexy Sincere Sexy Sweet Sexy Superb Sexy HUNK of a MAN, and he can BAKE wat MORE do you NEED!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Real or not real?????
    *REAL* ttly

9. peetaforever says:

I love Peeta soo much and its awful what he went through in catching fire but in the end he gets the girl of his dreams! TEAM PEETA FOREVER <3 xx

10. Taylor says:

Team Pests forever!!!!

1. DianaMellark4evs says:

i dnt get it? wat does pests hv to do wit the hot ass PEETA!!!!!!!

11. Anonymous says:

The one quote you missed that was my favorite was when peeta and gale had been saying that katniss had to pick one of them in the end that was the nicest things they had ever said to each other and I love what they said.

12. Mrs. Peeta Mellark says:

Omg I totally loooove HG and peeta is MINE!

1. DianaMellark4evs says:

TOO BAD FOR YOU!!!!
      Wannna see the ring 😀

13. peeta is so freaking cute 😀 and i love the way he’s always protecting katniss, even when he can’t. i just finished the first book, so i don’t have much to say about gale, but i know i won’t like him. if i had to choose between peeta and practically any guy in this planet, i would still choose peeta. so gale doesn’t stand a chance. anyway, this quotes are beautiful. i can’t wait to read the next books. i only wish there was more of peeta and katniss. i love the romance between the two of them. and even when they’re the main characters, i dont know, it seems like i just can’t get enough.

14. Anonymous says:

Love…Love…Yeah!!! I l Love Peeta so much, he´s so sweet but strong. He´s perfect to Katniss, and is she´s true love ever.

15. Sarah says:

I love Katpee! 🙂 When I was reading these I started to cry, It’s so sweet and heartbreaking at the same time. I love Peeta so much! He is my favorite!! If someone were to ask me is Peeta real or not real, I wish I could say real!! Which for me is true 🙂

16. Anonymous says:

LOVE PEETA!

17. Katherine says:

i love peeta, and katniss so much! personally i think suzanne collins was right to put katniss and peeta together at the end, but all my friends say that katniss should be with gale. i love the last quote, and i just fell in love with how collins conveys the romance throughout the whole trilogy. i would always remember these quotes, and whenever peeta and katniss would be apart, i’ll remember these quotes! :’) i love you peeta and gale and katniss!!!! you guys are my favorite literary characters for all time!!!!!

1. DianaMellark4evs says:

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

2. charlie says:

I love you Peeta <3

18. Margarita Patio says:

it absolutely killed me having to read Mockingjay. The sadness that overcame me when Peeta wasn’t the same after he was hijacked is still with me. I somehow wish there was a way for me to erase the memories of reading Mockingjay. These quotes are so amazing though. They were little life savers for my heart whenever something bad would occur in the book. something to hold on to. I love you peeeeeeeetttttttttaaaaaaaa xoxo

19. Anonymous says:

PEETA+KATNISS 4EVA!!!!!!!!!!

Peeta is so sweet and soo kind. He and Katniss are definetly meant for each other!!!
    I LOVE the way he makes Katniss feel safe and protected!!
    Also I am way happy that she didn’t choose Gale. They are soo wrong for each other. He is mean unsensitive and is DEFINETLY NO PEETA!!!!

PEETA+KATNISS4EVA
    PEETA+KATNISS4EVA
    PEETA+KATNISS4EVA
    PEETA+KATNISS4EVA

PEETA+KATNISS4EVA

20. peeta says:

and i cnt wait 2 see da movie!:D im a teen and im obssed wit PEETA+KATNISS=4EVER u suck gale! ha!

21. peeta says:

is all o this from mockingjay? im on da 2nd book. im in love with peeta he so sweet and caring…while gale is ugly and insensitive

1. DianaMellark4evs says:

Oh shut up! fu i luvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv PEETA in fact, i am Mrs. Mellark/Hutcherson. Still, if u were smart enough u could tell Gale comes from a different place and he had to watch katniss kiss Peta over and over again so Gale is nice. Even if i love Peeta Mellark much more than anyone ever combined, i love him more than all of you will ever love ANYONE!!!!!!!!!

1. Anonymous says:

U r crazy r u out of ur mind

22. jbgirl1275 says:

I was totally obesessed (sorry I can’t spell) wt this book. im more of a romance person so i thought there were not enough romance parts… >:( the last quote the very best bc its so romantic <3

23. LongLiveRueAndPrim says:

I love Peeta because he’s sensitive, caring,makes Katniss feel safe,knows what to say,makes anyone love him. I hated Gale from the start. I didn’tknow why at first but in the 2nd book I realize that when I was reviewing it, you have to make a choice of Peeta or Gale. I chose Peeta because of his romantic traits to Katniss while Gale is too agressive.

24. LongLiveRueAndPrim says:

These are all from “MockingJay” when Peeta is poisoned. If you got “Catching Fire” its filled with Katniss and Peeta truly loving each other but Gale tries to get in between. Peeta FTW!

25. Corinne s says:

Peeta is amazing and I love all the book but I wish I know more about how they grow back together And what ever job or why happen to gale he not the one for katniss but he was still nice

1. Mackenzie Blalock says:

Me too, but sometimes the best books are better when not all questions are answered; the author leaves you to decide there fate! Such a great book!

1. Mackenzie Blalock says:

*their; sorry bad grammar!

26. ObsessedWithPeeta says:

these quotes are sooooo romantic and i am in love with peeta!!! i wish he hadn’t gotten hijacked. things would have been sooo much more better. but i still love peeta!! <333333333

1. Libby Styles-Mellark says:

I agree soooo much it was so sad to see Peeta like that.

27. jesss says:

i am OBSESSED WITH PEETA AND KATNESS.
    they are TOO CUTE TOGETHER.

1. Anonymous says:

The r worst 2 gather

28. Ashley says:

i am obsessed literally obsessed with this triolgy. i can not wait for the movie it better not me no 3D crap or rewritten for all ages! These quotes are the best parts of the 3rd book. GO TEAM PEETA:)<3

29. Elizabeth M. says:

When I read Mockingjay the first time I was on the verge of tears but I read it again and i cried for a long time because of all of the things that happened in this book!! 😀

30. Bird says:

You basically took all those tender between the two and posted them here. :]

But, in my opinion, there were too little. At least they ended up with each other, but I absolutely loved the whole KatnissxPeeta thing and there was barely any.

31. Nessie says:

I enjoyed this book so much. :]
    The entire trilogy was amazing.
    Peeta is such a wonderful character.
    My favorite quote is the one about the sunset,
    and of course, the very last one .
    Thank you for sharing these!

32. hang nguyen says:

After a long time searching for all these “amazing selected moments ” , this worth. (almost every webs)
    Thank you very much. 🙂

33. Ash says:

wow,those are the most beautiful quotes ever.
    peeta’s character is amazing
    can’t wait to get this book now
    thanks